Tuesday, August 28, 2012

New Student Orientation - You are O 'fish' ally Awesome!


It's that time of year again, when we welcome our new students to our school.  To introduce the students to our school, I came up with this fun little mystery to tour our school - New Student School Tour QR Scavenger Hunt.
Typically I meet with the new students, a few at a time.  We go back to my office, meet and greet each other, and learn about our school.  Afterward I ask, "Who would like some Goldfish crackers?"  I pull out the basket and...uh oh...our fish have swam away! But he has left a clue:


I pull out my iPad and we scan the QR code on the fish to find the following clue:


The kids get so excited and I ask, "Hmm, where is a place in our school with a lot of books?"  The library!  This gives me the opportunity to explain that the library is now called "The Learning Commons".

We then review our hallway procedures before our adventure begins.  As we walk the halls of the school, I am able to point out murals that signal the different grade level halls.

Once we reach the Learning Commons, we find another fish with a QR clue leading us to another important place. The hunt for our little treasure continues throughout the school.  We learn the names of people and places that are important to the new students.

The tour ends back at my office where they find the Goldfish have left them a basket of treats!

Each treat has this poem on it...







A New Circle of Friends
We've joined together
as the new year begins...
A year full of learning
while we become friends.
We'll share and be kind
as we work and play.
And our friendship will grow
with each passing day.







If you would like to download this New Student School Tour Scavenger Hunt, please visit my TPT store: Creative Counseling Resources.  Included in your download are:
Directions
Full color fish with QR codes already linked to the school scavenger hunt clues - Ready to print and hang.
Digital, rhyming clues to the following places around every school:
Library/Media Center
Main Office
Health Room
Art Room
Gym
Music Room
Lunch Room
School Counselor's Office

In addition to this 14 page packet, you will need a mobile device with a QR code scanner app. (You can download these apps for free:)



New Student School Tour Scavenger Hunt


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO CUTE! Thank you for the great idea, I can't wait to use it with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is AWESOME, thank you! Did you assess their understanding of their new school in any way at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not do an assessment. It was more of a get to know the counselor activity. I do know kids remember because almost everyone of them mention coming to my office and chasing that silly fish all over the school. It is a great way for new students to have a positive experience at their new school! Thanks for visiting my blog! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just purchased this and I can't wait to use it!

    ReplyDelete