Gather ye crew and listen closely, because when I say pirates what I really be meanin' is remember these strategies! For our upcomin’ testin’, all ye need to remember is we are P.I.R.A.T.E.S.! And that pirates stands for what ye need to do while takin’ the test. We are goin’ to be talkin’ about each letter so ye know what to do.”
P – Prepare to Succeed:
• Know what you will be tested on.
• Dress comfortably.
• Be on time.
• Think positively
I – Inspect all Instructions:
• If you do not understand the directions, ask the teacher to explain.
• Look over the entire test so that there are no surprises and you’ll know how to budget your time.
R – Read, Remember, and Reduce:
• Read each question carefully.
• Remember what you studied.
• Reduce the answer choices by eliminating obvious wrong answers.
A – Answer or Abandon Questions:
• Answer all the questions that you know the answers to first.
• Abandon those you are unsure of and come back to them later.
T – Turn Back and Answer All Questions:
• If you skipped questions, go back.
• Never leave questions unanswered.
• You always have a chance to get it correct if you make your best educated guess!
E – Eye it Again:
• When in doubt make your best educated guess…
• Take a few deep breaths to relax.
• Unless you are positive, do not change your answer.
• Remember: It’s OK not to know everything
Next we play Buccaneer Battle!
Divide the class into two teams. To win this game, students try to find the most pirates for their team by taking turns answering true/false questions correctly and then revealing (touching a square of the map on the Smart Board) to see what is hidden behind the square. Find a bomb and you get to move the other teams player to pirate jail. Find a key to free your own team pirates from jail! Watch the video below to see more of this lesson and game in action!
*There is no music on the lesson. I just added it to the video.
If you are interested in purchasing this lesson, you can visit my TPT store, here.
Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!