Monday, August 3, 2015

Mission Possible: Meet the School Counselor



**Cue the Mission Impossible Music**  What kid has not dreamed of being a secret agent? My newest Meet the School Counselor Lesson takes the fun of being a Secret Agent and combines it with learning about the role of the School Counselor. I figured my third graders would love this lesson!


Secret Agents start by listening to a Welcome message introducing them to what they are about to do. They will be engaged in breaking codes on each slide to figure out what a School Counselor does. The Smart Board allows students to manipulate the clues such as wiping the steam off a bathroom mirror to uncover that School Counselors are caring.  

I also had my son, who has an awesome British accent, record one of the clues. Students have to listen and follow 12 different directions to uncover that School Counselors are confidential. One slide requests students to slide the magnifying glass around the screen to uncover that School Counselors are
Problem Solvers. On another slide they have to use a code to decipher that School Counselors are Listeners. Of course with each of these slides comes discussion and sharing how to let the School Counselor know when you need some help. After all the clues have been decoded, there is one more slide with a flashlight that the Secret Agents shine to find out we have a game planned!


Our super sleuth game of Discover the Secret Agent! starts with the Students applying to become a Secret Agent,
but first they must come up with a code name using the Code Name Generator.
Once all students have applied to be a Secret Agent, I will use the applications to play our game. To play Discover the Detective, I will read the Secret Agent's code name and the two facts they wrote about themselves. Then I will allow students to guess who the Secret Agent is. I can't wait to see how they like my newest lesson!


Watch the video below to see it in action!
video

If you are interested in purchasing this Mission Possible Lesson, please visit my TPT store by clicking this link. You must have Smart Notebook Software to open this file. Please note the Mission Impossible Music is not on the actual Smartboard. I just used the music at the beginning and end of this movie I recorded.


14 comments:

  1. Sorry Chelsea. I did not realize I had published the article. I had just started it last night. Hopefully you can see the video now and read all about it. Thanks for reading my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Looks like it took a long time to make this. Your students are going to love it! Your son is aces on the accent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Looks like it took a long time to make this. Your students are going to love it! Your son is aces on the accent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Will you be adding this to your TPT store?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am working on that now. It should be uploaded by tonight. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just purchased this and I can't seem to open the smart board activity. I can open all other supporting documents. Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you using Smart Notebook software? If so, let me send you the file again. (I will need your email. You can email it to me it at: blog.thecreativecounselor@gmail.com)
    If you do not have Smart Notebook software, you can try to download a free trial of Smart Notebook at https://education.smarttech.com/en/products/notebook/download#trial to use the file. But those are only a trial. It would only last 3 months. There is also Smart Notebook Express, a web based viewer application. You can see if it will work: http://express.smarttech.com/#.
    If you still cannot get it to work, and do not have the right software to open it, I can refund your money. Please let me know what you prefer. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle,

    I bought this lesson and I am very excited to use it. I watched the tutorial on the smart board lesson but I can't find the link to open up the actual smart board lesson. Can you help? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be the one titled:
      2. Mission Possible Meet the School Counselor Intro Smart Board.notebook
      If you don't see it, let me know. Thanks for purchasing it. Hope your kids enjoy it! Michelle

      Delete
  9. Hi-- I love this lesson. I purchased it and I am having a few challenges and wondered if you could help.
    1) How did you add the mission impossible theme music? and 2) when using the voice buttons, it bumps me out of the slide show and pulls up my itunes app, which is installed to forward my voice mail messages remotely. So, it plays the instructions from that screen. I cannot figure this out..? has this ever happened to you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this great lesson; I just purchased it. I had two questions. 1) How did you add in the Mission Impossible theme music? and 2) I am having technical difficulty with the sound instructions. When I play them it immediately kicks me out of the slideshow screen and into itunes and plays it like music. Has this ever happened to you? Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are interested in inserting the Mission Impossible Music, you would need to have a copy of the music. Some people purchase it, others know how to download it from Youtube using an MP3 converter (your IT person would not recommend that because it is against copyright.) If you want to cut it down to the first 10-15 seconds, you can use a free program like Audacity to shorten your clip. Once you have the clip saved as a new file, attach it to an object such as the file folder (you may have to unlock the image.) First save the new music file to the attachments on your Smartboard file (the paperclip on the left.) That way the sound is saved with the lesson. Then click the arrow button down in the right corner of the object you want to attach it to, click "link", in the top right corner of the link box, click the arrow down and select "current attachments." Then select your new sound that you just saved. At the bottom of the box select Launch by clicking "object." The next time you click that object, it should play the clip of the song you saved.
    As far as iTunes opening each time, I do not have that problem. It has to be in your iTunes settings, I believe. I think I have my iTunes hidden and that may be why I don't have that problem. Try adjusting your iTunes settings. Maybe it is your default player and that is where the setting needs to be changed??? I wish I knew more, but I am not sure. If you have a Technology coach at your school, they may be able to help on setting up your computer to hide the media player.
    I hope this helps a little. I will ask my Technology coach if she has an idea. I live in Columbia, SC and we are out of school this week because of the flooding we have had. Many of our roads are washed away and we cannot get to school. But I will ask whenever we return. Thanks so much for your purchase! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks Michelle for all your advice. I will give these suggestions a try! I am sorry to hear about all your flooding; I hope its impact has not been too harmful. Stay safe and take care.

    ReplyDelete