Saturday, February 18, 2012

Anger Journal

Download this for free here
My first lesson with students in my Anger Management Small Group focuses on recognizing clues from your body that you are getting angry.  Together we work on this word puzzle, I Can Feel Anger in my Body Word Puzzle, to unscramble and identify the different  body parts and how they react when a person is getting angry.  Of course kids come up with many different ways.  As the kids tell me how their bodies react, I will illustrate it on the Smart Board.  Kids may say their heart beats fast, they feel like they have butterflies in their stomach, the hair on their arms stands up, their fists clinch, their face gets hot, their ears can't hear anything, their nose is breathing heavy, etc.



 To conclude the lesson, students make Anger Journal Books to record the clues they are recognizing and how they handle their anger.  We made the books out of paper bags.  First, cut the edges of the bottom of three paper bags so they will open like the top.  Stack the paper bags and fold them in half.  Staple in the middle. Now you have 6 pages with pockets.  On the front we glued on the statements we discussed in group.  

                                                   



On the inside pages, students could decorate with the different body parts that clue them in when they are getting angry.











For each pocket, students put a note card size picture of a body inside.  On the back is a statement to complete when they get mad: Today I felt angry.  I knew I was angry because my body gave me clues. I could feel ______________.  I handled my angry feelings this way ___________.  Their homework is to journal when they get angry over the next week and draw what clues their body gave them when they were getting angry.

Certainly the students can decorate these books and make them more fancy and colorful, but with limited amounts of time, our books focused on just the discussion.    The kids liked these books because they thought the pockets were pretty hidden and it was like keeping a diary.  As students start recognizing their own angry body signals, they will be better equipped to stop and use some calming down strategies.




1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful blog! Thank you for sharing your ideas. I work with EBD kids at a day treatment center and I'm always needing a creative approach.

    ReplyDelete