Monday, February 11, 2013

Being Successful using the 7 Habits: Being Proactive



I have started a small group with some second graders who have been identified as needing extra support to be successful in second grade.  They have various issues causing them to struggle, but I thought I would try using a small group format focusing each week on a different leadership habit. This week we focused on Habit 1 - Being Proactive.








 We started with a discussion on what does it mean to be proactive.  The students were able to tell me "Being in charge of yourself" and give me examples of what I would see if they were being proactive.  I then placed a hula hoop in the center of the room.  Inside the center of the hula hoop I placed a sheet of paper with "Things I can control" written on it.  On the outside I placed a sheet with "Things I cannot control" written on it.  The students then had to decide if what I said was something they could control or not control.  As I called out situations they would jump in the hula hoop or out.  Some things that we focused on were school rules, their behavior, their feelings, their attitude, their friends, their reactions to friends, etc. Each time, the students had to tell me how or why they could control or not control the situation.






Next, I read my favorite story to the students, Alexander's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.  We discussed whether Alexander was being proactive or reactive throughout the book.  Afterward we talked about ways Alexander could be proactive and use his heart messages (AKA "I messages").













Students took turns practicing using Heart messages to be proactive about different school situations.









Finally we made a Heart person to remember our heart messages help us to be proactive instead of reactive when we are having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!


3 comments:

  1. The truth is that most anger management programs offer shallow solutions like, “count to 10” and “take a deep breath.” That is just not enough for someone struggling with anger. Most anger management counselors do not understand the science of anger, how anger works in your brain, and what really happens to make your angry. Since they don’t understand this, they give obsolete and incomplete guidance.
    Anger Management Counseling Denver

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great information. I am researching Counseling Las Vegas for my daughters. I hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete